Paying Taxes on Campaign Profits

How to differentiate between Campaign profits paid by check and PayPal.

Bonfire Team avatar
Written by Bonfire Team
Updated over a week ago

By law, it is your responsibility to report any income you generate and pay all applicable taxes. Everyone’s tax situation is different, and although we’re great at making awesome shirts, we’re not so great with offering tax guidance. Please consult your attorney or tax advisor for more detailed information.

If you are paid by check from Bonfire:
Individuals who set up a Campaign and earn more than $600 on Bonfire in one calendar year and do not identify as a 501(c)3 non profit organization, will receive a 1099 form issued by Bonfire. One copy of the completed form will be sent to the IRS while the other is sent to the seller. Bonfire mails out 1099s each year during the first week of February.

If you are paid by Paypal:
All individuals who set up a Campaign and earn more than $600 on Bonfire in one calendar year (January - December) will receive any relevant 1099 form information via PayPal. However, PayPal has its own requirements for the calendar year meaning you may not receive a 1099 if you do not either:

  • receive over $600 in gross payment volume

  • have over 200 separate payments on the PayPal account

Corporations, nonprofits, and non-US individuals are solely responsible for reporting any income earned on Bonfire.


If you have questions, reach out to our Customer Success team. We’d be happy to help.

Did this answer your question?